Another Monday, means another Refresh! Today we are talking about refreshing your travel face regime and Falynn’s newest podcast obsession.
Amber’s Monday Refresh
Last Monday I was in Ottawa, ON exploring Canada’s Capital and my skin wasn’t loving me. I’ve been traveling a lot as of late and it seems a constant struggle to keep my skin hydrated and blemish free. Here are a couple of my favorite ways to get my skin back on track.
1) Water! This may seem obvious, but when I travel I tend to double my caffeine and cut my H2O intake. I’ve been trying to change this by bringing a water bottle with me in my carry-on and ordering water on the plane as opposed to my go-to of tomato juice or ginger ale. However, if they offer you complimentary wine, always say yes.
2) Moisturizer! Before I board the plane, I slather my face and arms in a lovely combination of Trader Joe’s face lotion, a drop of Vitamin E oil, and two drops of Frankincense essential oil. Frankincense oil is a natural wrinkle preventer and it helps to lock in the moisture. Upon landing, I wipe my face with a dampened cotton pad soaked with 2-3 drops of Tea Tree oil. This takes care of any oil or bacteria and leaves your skin feeling tingly and refreshed. Then I repeat my moisturizer regimen; minus the Vitamin E oil if I plan on applying make-up.
3) SPF! If you plan on spending anytime outdoors, make this a priority. I also bring a wide brimmed hat along to serve double duty for second and third day hair. Nothing takes a toll on your skin more than unprotected sun exposure.
Falynn’s Monday Refresh
A couple weeks ago my sister-in-law informed me of this (highly addictive) podcast, Serial. If you haven’t heard of it, you need to! I love music, but when I am sitting at my desk I like a bit more variety; to be honest, I am usually listening to talk radio, audio books, and now, podcasts.
So I am going to give you my most recent Podcast addictions:
- Serial – As I mentioned, this podcast is highly addictive. I finished the first season in 3 days, and I am impatiently waiting season two. The premise of the podcast is about a journalist digging up a cold case of a young man who is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend. Yah, sounds kinda blah, but once you start listening, you are 100% captivated and I seriously couldn’t stop. Here is a hint, it’s not solved at the end of the first season, hence my anticipation for season two.
- Criminal – Crime series is a common theme for me. I love murder/mystery/crime series, whether it’s a book, a TV show (exhibit a: my obsession with old school Law & Order), or podcasts. I think I was a lawyer in a previous life. Anyway, Criminal podcast is a series of solved and unsolved mysteries, and is literally described as “Criminal is a podcast about crime. Stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged, or gotten caught somewhere in the middle.” For you Crime lovers, this is for you.
- The Urbanist – This podcast feeds my nerdy design bone! It’s all about architecture, design, how a cities works, and everything in between. I would describe it as the organized chaos of modernism.
- Stuff You Missed in History Class – So along wiht my love for crime and mystery, I am also fascinated with history. This podcast delves deeper into historical events from a unique perspective. When you are done listening to this, you’ll be the master of obscure historical trivia! Also, if you are a History lover, consider these other podcasts: Hardcore History, 15 Minute History, and The Bowery Boys (all about NYC).
- Pop Fashion – I have recently discovered this podcast and so far I am a big fan. Obviously it covers both fashion and pop culture, but goes deeper into business and current events. I can see this one easily becoming a front runner in my podcast selections.
- The Tropical MBA – One of my other loves, which I don’t show very often, is my innate interest in business. Having two very hard working parents and growing up in a family business, I’ve had a first hand view of the efforts that go into business. So another obvious choice for me would be a business podcast; but this isn’t your typical version of that. This podcast talks about “lifestyle businesses”. What is that? Travel, living your life, entrepreneurship, success, and doing it how you want.
Maybe we can start another OUTINON series on podcasts; thoughts? Let me know what you’re listening too!