Hola friends! We can’t believe it is already May and that we have officially being “blogging” for TWO months (oh where has the time gone?!). So in honor of what we are all about, here is this month’s review of what’s IN, what’s OUT, and what’s going ON!
Some trends I could take it or leave it, but I’m a BIG fan of the new ear jacket trend! For those of you who are not familiar with what an ear jacket is, it is not a new style of ear muff or a weird hat for your ear; it’s a an earring and it doesn’t require a new piercing!
Not washing your face before bed. Admit it, you’ve done this! After a night out or a long day, you’re way to tired to take the time to scrub the makeup off your face before bed, but rather, you face-plant your pillow and wake up with clogged pores and a messy pillow case. I’ve done it, but I refuse to do it any longer! My skin is way to fragile and I’m only getting older.
What to do then?
- Remove the makeup – I use Bioderma Sensibio H20, it’s gentle on the eyes but gets even my toughest makeup off
- Cleanser – Your cleanser will totally depend on your skin type, choose one that works best for you and use it religiously. I use a cleansing oil by Shu Uemura in the evenings and a pore cleanser in the mornings with my Clarisonic to wake my skin up.
- Toner – Zap the zits and oily t-zone! My skin varies but my toner doesn’t; I use Clinique Clarifying Lotion to help remove excess oil and clean out my pores.
- Moisturizer – This is probably the most important step; in order to maintain the elasticity in your skin, you need to hydrate! This will also vary according to your skin type, but whatever it is, soak your skin in it!
- Serum – I actually only started using a serum this year, that’s because this is the first time I have noticed fine lines on my face. I did some research and asked the pros on what to use, turns out my skin responded the best to SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic; I will admit this was an investment, but it has lasted me so long and I have noticed such a difference. This is my anti-aging ninja!
- Eye Cream – I previously posted about my must-have eye cream, Biotherm: Skin-Best Eyes. I swear by it and refuse to go to bed without it!
Start doing it and don’t stop it! Your older self will thank you!
What’s going ON
Royal Bison Craft & Art Fair! If you have never checked it out, this is a must! They have all kinds of unique gifts, art, crafts, etc. that is all based out of the Edmonton area. Every time I have attended the fair, I end up leaving with a years supply of gifts and an arm full of goodies for myself!
- When: May 8-10 (Fri. 5-9, Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4)
- Where: 8426 Gateway Blvd.
- How much: $3 (kids are free)
What will be featured at the fair this year: apparel & accessories, ceramics, leather goods, paper goods, art & prints, photos, plants, kids stuff, puppets, bath & beauty, home décor, woodworking, jewelry, and much more!
Palazzo pants, harem pants, no pants… (just kidding). In all seriousness, all pants that keep things breezy down south are totally having a major fashion moment. For me, I always take a little bit to warm up to new (or old becoming new again) fashion trends. At one point I actually swore I would NEVER be caught dead in a pointed-toe heel or a pair of skinny jeans (like ew). I guess you could say I like to make sure the trend will be around for more than a minute. All of this to say, easy, breezy, lightweight pants are here to stay for the summer at least! I’ve been rocking harem pants for a couple summers and I LOVE how easily they can transition from casual, to dressy, to downright sexy. Whether you pair them with a crop top and gladiators for an outdoor concert or with stilettos and a lacy tank for a night out with your lady friends, these pants will soon be your go-to.
As for palazzo pants, to me they are essentially a maxi skirt you can sit cross-legged in. Interchange them with all the pieces you’d wear with a maxi skirt and voila! But now you ask, where does one find such pants? I’ve done the legwork for you (get it?) Because this is a newer trend, I picked up a couple more affordable pairs at places like Target and Forever 21.
I’ll tell you what’s out, staying indoors! I realize given today’s recent Alberta weather events, that this may not apply to you, but to all of our Houston readers, stop sitting around inside doing nothing. I do not want to hear anyone say they’re bored. Ever. This leads me right into “What’s going on?” So read on to find out how you can stay busy this month!
What’s going ON
Museum of Fine Arts Houston (MFAH) has adopted an awesome Thursday evening tradition! From 6-9pm they will be hosting a Happy Hour complete with food trucks and a DJ! Museum entry is completely free all day on Thursdays so stop in for a beverage, a snack, and a quick peruse of one of my favorite Houston museums. I will be there this Thursday so stop by and say hi!
TXFEST! Celebrating all things Texas, this event goes down Saturday, May 9th from 10am-10pm in Hermann Square Park in DT, HTX. There will be live music (Kevin Fowler & Jamestown Revival to name a couple), plenty of food from local vendors and more than enough local brews and spirits. Grab your tickets here before they sell out! PS. with that link tickets are half off!
Puppies For Breakfast. Despite the name, you are not going to be eating puppies. This event, hosted in Market Square Park, on May 16th (10am-2pm), is for dogs and their owners! The event is free to attend, but they ask that you bring a $5 donation. There will be breakfast from local food trucks and even a costume contest! Ella and I will be there and hope to see you and your furry friend.
Houston Press BrewFest. This event is also on May 16th, but runs from 3pm-7pm (allowing me plenty of time to event hop). This is held in the same location as Menu of Menu’s and if that event is any indication, we are in for great time. Get your tickets for this quickly as last year they sold out before the event! Get your tickets here and if you use the Promo Code: INSTABEER you will get 4 tickets for $100 + 4 additional beer sampling cards!